Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Measurements

When I was in Junior High, all the girls were required to take home economics. The boys were required to take shop. No boys were allowed in home ec. and no girls were allowed in shop. If for some reason a girl had to enter the shop or a boy had to enter the home ec. room for any reason, it was almost as embarrassing as if you had gone into the wrong bathroom.
My junior high cooking teacher, Miss Grotegut (yes that really was her name), insisted that before we could cook anything we had to memorize the measurement chart. We also had to learn a long list of cooking terms. Everybody whined and complained. But because it was required to cook, and we all wanted to cook, we did it. I have used that information more than anything else I learned in her class (maybe more than information I learned in a lot of other classes as well).
In college, my favorite teacher, Maurine Hegsted, taught us this rhyme.
"A pint's a pound the world around."
That has always stuck in my head.
Home ec. classes aren't required anymore. They are more or less just for fun. Consequently, I don't think my kids ever had to learn measurements. That's too bad. I am surprised at how often I am asked questions about measurements. For that reason, I'm including this list here.

Measurements

3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon
2 Tablespoons = 1 fluid ounce
8 fluid ounces = 1 cup
16 fluid ounces = 1 pint
32 fluid ounces = 1 quart
16 Tablespoons = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
4 cups = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon
16 cups = 1 gallon
1 pint = 1 pound

1 pkg yeast = 1 Tablespoon

1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 Tablespoon = 15 ml
1 cup = 240 ml

1 comment:

  1. and how much yeast is in one package!?! that is the measurement I need to know, and never can remember

    ReplyDelete