Monday, September 21, 2009

Coconut Macaroons

I used to walk home from school past Hale Bakery everyday. It always smelled so good. Sometimes I would stop and buy a hard roll or a cookie to eat on the way home. Hard rolls were 3 cents. Cookies were 3 cent or 5 cents, depending on the kind you got. When I was a junior in High School, I got a job working there. I worked at Hale Bakery for 6 years. I worked there all through college. I quit the week before Josh was born.
One of my favorite cookies they made were the coconut macaroons. They were sticky and good when they were fresh. But when they were a couple of days old, they were rock hard (not so good anymore).
This recipe is not the recipe they used at the bakery (they made about 100 dozen at a time). I actually like these lots better. But like the macaroons at the bakery, they are much better fresh. If you aren't going to eat them all soon, freeze them.

Coconut Macaroons

2 14 oz. bags of flaked coconut
1 large can sweetened condensed milk
6 egg whites
1 cup sugar
¾ cup flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp almond extract

Chopped almonds (optional)

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Drop by rounded
tesaspoonful onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 325ยบ or until edges are golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets at once.

Drizzle with melted chocolate after they cool if desired.
You can make the dough into balls by wetting your hands before rolling the balls. Water will help the dough not stick to your fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment