Monday, August 24, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

Saturday, I picked a lot of tomatoes from our garden. I decided to make spaghetti using fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs. I've never done that before. Sunday was the Oquirrh Temple dedication, so we were done with church by 10:30. Therefore, I was able to spend the day cooking down my fresh tomatoes. Charis & Craig and their kids and Naaman & Becky and C.J. came for dinner Sunday afternoon. So, after working all day making the spaghetti sauce from scratch, the general consensus was that everybody likes the kind I normally make better. It is much easier and a lot less work. It is also much less creative. But, I'm willing to sacrifice labor and creativity for flavor. So much for "mama mia, that's Italian". I'm sticking with the Shillings mix.
I use my spaghetti sauce for
lasagna, too. I'm a very lazy lasagna maker. I mix all the spaghetti sauce, meat and cheese together and then layer it with the cooked lasagna noodles. It works great.

Spaghetti Sauce

2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can slice mushrooms
1 package Shillings Spaghetti sauce mix
1 lb. ground beef

Brown ground beef. Drain and
rinse off excess grease. Add tomatoes. Drain mushrooms and add them to beef and tomatoes. Stir in Spaghetti sauce mix. Cook until thickened. Serve over cooked spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment