Friday, August 7, 2009

Blueberry Filled Cookies

Someday, my cute little grandson, Sam, will be a famous chef. He loves to help cook. He loves to play in his play kitchen. And he loves to play in my flour and sugar drawers. He finds cups or spoons and pours sugar in the flour and flour in the sugar (and on the floor as well). I figure it doesn't hurt anything too much. If I'm making something that needs sugar and no flour, I just reach to the back of the drawer. I figure a little sugar in the flour might even make things better, because I've heard it said that you should always put a little salt in something sweet and a little sugar in something savory. So it probably doesn't matter much.
When I was making these cookies, I just used the sugar with the flour mixed in to make the filling. So I didn't add any flour. I think the flour is really just a matter of taste. If you want a runnier filling you can leave it out entirely.

Blueberry Filled Cookies

Filling:
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 t. flour
zest of one lemon

Mix flour and sugar in a saucepan. Add berries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Cook for a minute or two.

Make your favorite sugar cookie dough (a recipe for mine is on this blog). Roll dough to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut into circles. Place circles of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment pater. Put about a teaspoon of filling (about 5-6 berries) on the center of each round. Moisten edges of dough. Place another circle of dough on top of the berries and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.

Frost with cream cheese frosting if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment