Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Basic Pie Crust

I remember my mother making pie crust in a large bowl. She never measured anything. She never used any kind of tools (pastry blender, Knives, etc). She just used her fingers. She would make enough for 8 pies at a time and they always worked. I don't know how she did it. She only ever made pumpkin pies.
I think I got this recipe from my Junior High Home Ec. class at Roosevelt Jr. High. But I honestly don't remember. It has served me well for many years. I rarely double the recipe even if I am making a lot of pies.

Pie Crust

2 cups all purpose flour
2 t. salt
1 T. sugar (oprional)
2/3 cup shortening
7 T. cold water.

Mix flour and salt (and sugar). Using 2 knives or a pastry blender cut in shortening til it is the size of small peas. Using a fork, gradually mix in water (1 T. at a time). Form into 2 balls.
On a floured, smooth surface, roll one ball of dough to 1/8 inch thick. Fold dough in half and place in a 9" pie plate. Unfold. Gently press dough to fit pan (do not strech dough) Trim sides to fit the pan. Crimp edges if using pie dough for a single shell pie. Use other ball of dough for another pie or for the top crust of a double crust pie. Follow instructions in your pie recipe to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment