Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Red Velvet Cake

When Allan was a little kid, he always asked for a red chocolate cake with blue frosting, for his birthday. His mother was a nice mother and always made it for him. At least that's what I understand. I, on the other hand, am not as nice of a wife. In 31 years of marriage, I have yet to make, this cake. Charis did make him one this year for his birthday. She apparently is a better daughter than I am a wife as well. She found a cake mix for Red Velvet Cake. I have never been able to find one. I actually think Allan is OK with the fact that I have neglected this ritual. He has never really complained. In fact he ususally asks for some different kind of cake for his birthday, now.
This is actually his mom's recipe.

Red Velvet Cake
(aka Red Chocolate Cake with Blue Frosting)

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 T. cocoa
1-2 oz red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 t. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 t. vinegar
1 t. soda
1 t. vanilla

Cream shortening, eggs and sugar. Make a paste of cocoa and pat of the food coloring. Add paste and food coloring to creamed mixture. Sift flour & salt & soda together. Add flour and
buttermilk alternately a little at a time. Add vinegar.
Bake in 2 8" pans at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment