Thursday, July 16, 2009

Spring Mill Corn Bread

When Rosalie was just a baby we went to Indiana to visit my sister Claralyn and her family. They were living there while her husband taught at Indiana University. We took my mom and dad. It was a great trip. While we were there, we went to an old State Park that had a working pioneer stone mill. We bought a bag of the stone ground corn meal and took it home and made corn bread from the recipe on the package. It was delicious. But part of the reason it was so good was because of the course corn meal. I couldn't find it anywhere else. Sometimes, after my sister moved back to Utah, I would ask her or her kids to pick some up for me when they went back to visit in Indiana. A few years ago, I discovered Red Mill products in the grocery store. They have a whole line of flours and things. They have a corn meal that is very similar to the corn meal we got in Indiana.
When Rosalie moved to Portland, we discovered that the Red Mill factory is not far from her house. We have gone there a few times. It is a fun place to explore. They have all the things they sell in normal stores plus a whole lot more. Now I can make my favorite corn bread anytime I want. (You can make this corn bread with regular corn meal too, but I like the course ground a lot better).

Spring Mill Corn Bread

¾ cup course corn meal
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
1 egg
5 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, eggs and shortening. Bake in a greased 9x9 pan for 20 minutes at 425ยบ.

No comments:

Post a Comment