Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bratten's Clam Chowder

Bratten's was a restaurant on 4th South in Salt Lake when I was a kid. It was the only good seafood restaurant in town. It was here long before The Red Lobster or Market Street Grill. I don't know why they went out of business. Several of the people I went to High School worked there. I think I only ever went there once. I'm not sure if this is actually the recipe they used. But it tastes just the same and it is delicious.

Bratten’s Clam Chowder

1 qt. half and half
1 small onion (diced)
2 cups diced potatoes
¾ cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cans minced clams
1cup diced celery
1 cup sliced carrots
¾ cups butter
1½ teaspoon salt

Precook potatoes, celery and carrots. Drain (and save juice) from the clams. Add to vegetables. Add enough water to cover. Simmer until tender. Melt butter and add flour. Blend. Add cream and cook until smooth and thickened. Add salt, sugar and vegetables. Add clam juice. Heat but do not boil.
Pour in bowls and sprinkle with Salad Supreme and parsley or chives

No comments:

Post a Comment