Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sloppy Joes (for a crowd)

Every year for many many years Emerson Ward had a picnic at the park for a summer party. The menu was the same every year. The ward provided the sloppy joes and buns and home made root beer. Every thing else was pot luck. I really don't remember too many activities. I think everybody just talked while the kids played at the park. At first it was at Fairmont Park, but in later years, they held it at Sugarhouse Park. When Allan was in the Bishopric we helped make the sloppy joes. Evelyn Pruess gave us the recipe. When I make sloppy joes for my family I make them the same way only in much smaller quantity.

Sloppy Joes
(Emerson Ward for a crowd)

10 lbs. ground beef
3 cans chicken gumbo soup
3 onions (chopped)
1½ bottles ketchup

Brown hamburger, rinse off grease. Add onions, soup and ketchup. Simmer on low heat for an hour or so.

For my family I use:
2-3 lbs ground beef
1/2 - 1 onion
1 can chicken gumbo soup
enough ketchup to make it sloppy (about 1 cup).

No comments:

Post a Comment