Monday, July 13, 2009

Banana Bread

Julie Thompson gave me this recipe. It is delicious and moist. It's the best I've tasted. Julie told me that whenever she found buttermilk on sale she would stock up on 1 cup containers and put them in her freezer so she would have them on hand whenever she had an over abundance of ripe bananas. I'm never that organized so I just substitute sour milk and nobody complains.

Banana Bread

3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 t. salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 cup milk + 1 t. Lemon juice)
1 t. vanilla
1 cup shortening or margarine
4 cups flour
2 t. soda
2 ½ cups mashed bananas

Mix in order given. Pour batter in greased bread pans sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Bake 40 minutes at 350ยบ. Let sit in pans for ten minutes before removing from the the pans. Makes 3 regular sized loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment