Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grandma Martin's Fruit Salad

Thanksgiving at Allan's house, when he was growing up, was different than Thanksgiving at my house. Allan's mother would always have Turkey for dinner and a couple of different pies for dessert. She always had pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie (Allan's dad loves mincemeat). But other than that it was pretty much like her typical Sunday Dinner.
At my house, on the other hand, my mom put out everything. We never had anything that was really fancy. But the table was full of food. My mom opened a can of every kind of vegetable she had. There was always a plate of cheese. Lots of pumpkin pies. There were yams, and just about anything else my mom could find. And there was always fruit salad.
I think fruit salad must have been a Kendell thing. Because whenever we had Thanksgiving with my Aunts, there were always a couple of different bowls of the same fruit salad. Now when we celebrate Thanksgiving with my sisters, there are still always 2 or 3 bowls of the same fruit salad (with a few variations).But I still love fruit salad. I just don't think it is Thanksgiving without it.


Grandma Martin’s Fruit Salad

4-5 apples (different varieties) chopped
1-2 bananas sliced
Seeds of 1 pomegranate (optional)
Grapes cut in half
Any other fresh fruit you like (pears, strawberries, kiwi, etc.)
Chopped nuts (very optional)
1 can fruit cocktail (drain and reserve fluid)
1 can pineapple chunks or tidbits (drain and reserve fluid)
1 can mandarin oranges (drain and reserve fluid)
1/3 cup sugar (brown or white)
2 heaping Tablespoons corn starch
1 cup cream

Mix sugar and cornstarch in a pot, add fruit juices from canned fruit. Heat until thick and clear. Let cool.
Whip cream, fold in thickened fruit juice.
Gently fold into mixed fruits. Chill.

3 comments:

  1. I just linked over to your blog from Charis. I'm so excited to find it. I love coming to your house for food. It is always so good. Can't wait to come over on Thanksgiving. If you haven't gotten your turkey yet, I have some Macey's turkey vouchers that I won't be using if you can. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good news, your blog now shows that you updated two days ago! who knows what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this recipe should be listed in your food for a crowd area, it makes tons, way too much for just a single family to eat in one sitting. I wish there was a way to half it, or even quarter it. . . but with canned food in the recipe that is difficult.

    ReplyDelete