Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Butter Toffee

Thanksgiving and Christmas are quickly approaching. At my house that means it's time to start making goodies. Partly for the holidays and partly for Festival of Trees. Every year, for about ten years, we've spent the Saturday and Monday after Thanksgiving making candy for the Festival of Trees. Sometimes Allan helps me. Sometimes one or two of my kids help me. Occasionally my sisters help and one year my niece, Liz, even came and helped me.
We usually make Toffee, Turtles, Mints and Popcorn balls. Sometimes I make Sugared Almonds.
This year we are going to try to make little chocolate covered Fudge Christmas Trees. Charis and I have made Hearts and Eggs several times for Valentines and Easter. But we've never tried Christmas Trees. I hope they work.
I got this recipe a long time ago from my sister in law, Kae. It has become a family favorite. Allan likes to take it to work to share.

Butter Toffee

1 lb. butter (not margarine)
2 cups sugar
2 T. light corn syrup
1/2 t. salt
6 T. hot water
1/2 - 3/4 cup sliced almonds (not the blanched kind)
8 oz. milk chocolate
chopped nuts (I like pecans)

In a large, heavy pan, combine all ingredients except chocolate and chopped nuts. Cook rapidly, stirring constantly until it reaches hard crack stage in a cup of cold water (about 20-25 minutes) it is 285 degrees at my altitude on my thermometer) It would be 292 degrees at sea level.
Pour without scraping into a large cookie sheet.
Break pieces of chocolate over top while still hot. When chocolate is melted, spread evenly, covering all toffee. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Cool. Break into bite sized pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment