Monday, December 14, 2020

Soft Ginger Snaps



When I was a little girl, my grandmother would spend several months a year at our home.  most of the time she lived in Idaho with my Aunt Margaret.  But, every few months, she would come spend a month of two with us.  I loved to have her come visit.  She was deaf and only spoke sign language. I didn't know much sign language, other than the alphabet and "thank you" and "good night". But I was little enough, that I used to love to just sit with her on her bed and hold her hand.

Grandma's favorite cookies were Ginger Snaps. She loved them with her Postum.  They were hard and dry and I thought they were way to spicy.  I didn't like them, at all.

Now that I am old, I really like ginger cookies.  I like them soft and probably not as spicy as the old ginger Snaps. I especially like them at Christmas time.


Soft Ginger Snaps

  • 1/2 cup Butter. melted and cooled. 
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar 
  • 1/3 cup Dark Molasses    
  • 1 Egg    
  • 2 cups Flour  
  • 2 t. Baking Soda  
  • 1 1/2 t. Ground Ginger  
  • 1 t. Ground Cinnamon  
  • 1/2 t. Ground Cloves         
  • 1/4 t. Salt    
  • 1/4 cup Granulated or Sanding Sugar                   

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.

2.  Mix butter, brown sugar, and molasses.  Add egg and mix well.

3.  Add all other dry ingredients (except granulated sugar).  Mix until well combined. Dough will be soft.                                                                                                                                                         

 4.  Divide the dough into 36 pieces (about 1 T. or the size of a walnut). Roll into a ball and roll ball in sugar. Place balls about 2" apart on cookie sheet. Do not flatten.                                                        

5.  Bake cookies 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake.   

6.  To keep cookies soft, remove cookies immediately from cookie sheets and place in air tight containers.  














No comments:

Post a Comment